Monday, March 10, 2008

Reader's Response "A Cat in the Rain"


For this assignment, I read "A Cat in the Rain" by Ernest Hemingway. I this story, a young American wife is immersed in a town of strangers alongside her husband. On a rainy day, the wife feels extremely lonely and neglected by her husband. To ease her pain, the woman turns all of her attention to rescuing a little kitten from the rain. Her mission is unsuccessful at first, but ultimately the kitten is found and the woman joyously gains a new companion.


The text maintained by attention because I felt so deeply for the young American wife. I can only imagine how hard it must have been for her to be submerged in a foreign country and to feel so alone without the comfort of her husband. In addition, I was saddened by the thought of an abandoned kitten! Both the woman and kitten seemed like such a perfect match for each other that I anxiously read this story in hopes of seeing them through to their union.


I have seen one of my friends live through a similar experience. She felt lonely and wanted companionship so she decided to purchase a pet rabbit. I have mixed views on this matter for I believe that it is of utmost importance for one to find company within themselves. In terms of both my friend and her bunny and Hemingway's woman and her kitten, if both felt comfortable with themselves, neither would have had such a desperate need for a pet. When we have achieved such a glorious state of self-content, a new companion or pet may become a bright-spot in our lives, but until that point, we are simply covering our pain with temporary distraction.

No comments: