Sunday, January 27, 2008

Reading Post # 1

This assignment was to read pages 590-602 in the Literature for Composition textbook. The piece was titled "Case Study: America Sings the Blues: Writing Arguments about Songs and Poems." The history of blues music was stated followed by a selection of blues song lyrics and a short biography of each author/composer.
I did not find this piece very interesting due to my dislike of blues music. However, I did obtain some knowledge on the subject such as origins of blues, how it spread, and the evolution of how others reacted to it. I learned that blues had gospel roots dating back to African Americans in their time of slavery. Blues music surpassed the struggles of segregation and began to focus on "love, sex, grueling work, and death."
To my surprise, I really enjoyed reading W.H. Auden's song titled "Funeral Blues." The lyrics depict the devastation of an overwhelming loss and what I believe to be the heavy burden of a funeral. The last section of this song is the one that touches me the most, vividly describing the helpless grief of a person in mourning.

"The stars are not wanted now; put out every one,
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun,
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood;
For nothing now can ever come to any good."

This small excerpt perfectly describes my feelings following the excruciatingly painful loss of my mother. Auden seems to have written directly from my heart, for I shared these exact emotions following my mother's burial. My loss felt so extreme that I was certain I would never again experience joy, nor did I believe my life would continue with out the love and guidance of my best friend.
I did not expect to relate to any of this text or even enjoy the reading, so I must admit that I am happy that I completed this assignment for deeper meanings than my grade alone. Therefore, although I am skeptical that I will suddenly enjoy the sound of blues music, I can confidently say that I have more of an appreciation for the artists, their struggle, and their work.

No comments: