Wednesday, January 30, 2008

"The Great Figure"

Disclaimer: Unfortunately I do not have access to my blog assignment sheet at this point in time (AKA mere hours before class) but I am going to do the best I can to complete this assignment because I don’t want to get in the habit of missing deadlines!

Based on the poetry reading assignment, the poem that I have chosen to write about is “The Great Figure” by William Carlos Williams. The poem is very short but yet extremely detailed. Williams’s simple words describing a fire truck mesh together in what I believe to be a very blunt and “choppy” form. However, I think that the uneven flow makes the poem even better! Due to the fact that the short poem was written in immediate response to the fire truck “flashing” by, the poem’s blunt structure is honest and satisfying.

I believe that many people can relate to this poem. Whether you regularly see fire trucks in the city or wish you had more of them in the country, anyone can be Williams’s audience. One of the things that I like about this poem is that the author shows no bias on whether or not the sight and sound of the truck pleases or hinders him. Consequently, this poem can evoke a response from all readers. “The Great Figure” may either cause feelings of comfort, or annoyance, depending on the reader’s feelings and experiences.

Personally, the sound of sirens and the sight of fire trucks never ceases to have a deep effect on me. I am both comforted and disturbed by the flashing lights, for I know that they are a sign of trouble. However, I am comforted by the fact that the flashing lights and sirens also represent the quick assistance of professional help in response to a desperate call. Therefore, I would categorize myself as part of the audience who appreciates fire trucks and the brave people who operate them!

1 comment:

Jake said...

I liked your post on our group poem. I feel that it took a lot of the ideas that we were trying to merge and turned it into a flowing paper. I feel that it would be difficult to describe that poem any better. However, if i had written it the words "train of thought" and symbol of power might have been some recurring themes.